Saturday, January 1, 2011

metal and mud


Become Who You Are - Large Ceramic Pendant
"Hi, I'm Sara! I was born in New Jersey, but moved to Memphis, TN when I was a freshman in high school. Moved around a bit after college, but always seem to end up back here!
I started working with ceramics after moving back to Memphis from Colorado in 2002. My mom was teaching a class, and I thought it might be a fun new medium to try. I'd always been crafty, dabbling in sewing, knitting, cross-stitch, etc., but had never found anything I was truly passionate about. Right from the start, I fell in love with ceramics. I love getting my hands dirty and feeling connected to the medium in a way I never have before.
I think my favorite thing about ceramics is the versatility. My shop features pieces that are 100% handmade, as well as pre-made pieces I have altered. Each gives me a different kind of satisfaction. There's the thrill of discovering a uniquely shaped plate or pitcher, and imagining what decal or paint details I can add to it to make it even more beautiful. And with handmade pieces, I love taking the piece out of the mold and seeing the blank canvas I can then carve or paint however my little heart desires.
I try to create pieces that are beautiful, unique and meaningful. I feel that words are powerful, so I tend to include them in most of my work. I hope the Etsy shoppers find them as inspirational as I do!"
bio written by Sara via her etsy profile.
ETSY * TWITTER

No comments: