biscuits are a great alternative to bread, are so yummy & super easy to make:
2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
4.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter (or margarine)
1 cup milk
2. preheat oven to 450F
3. mix all the dry ingredients really well
4. add the butter; I like to melt it first (in the microwave) to make it easier to mix
5. first, mix with a wooden spoon,
6. then with your hands,
7. until it's all mixed together well.
8. make a hole in the center of the bowl, with your fingers, and slowly pour the milk in the hole
9. mix. sprinkle some more flour in, if the dough seems too sticky.
10. put the glob of dough on a floured wooden surface, like a cutting board.
11. knead the dough for a minute or so; then press out flat (use your fingers if you wish as opposed to using a rolling pin) approx .5 to .75 inch thick
12. spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray (spray butter), and rub it so that the entire sheet is coated. you can use your hand or a piece of saran wrap or wax paper, if desired
13. use a regular drinking glass to cut out your biscuits. dip it in flour and twist it so that the rim is almost covered
14. cut out circles of dough, with the cup; be sure to dip in your flour before each cut.
15. lay each biscuit on the cookie sheet. when you have 11 biscuits made, I like to take the remaining dough and form it into a round shape, similar to the others.
16. put in oven,
17. for 12-15 minutes; set a timer if you have one
18. remove from oven when they are golden brown and have raised
19. cool on a wire rack
20. and you are finished! what will you put on yours? butter or homemade strawberry jam??