Friday, June 10, 2011

Mister Finch


Moth made from vintage tablecloth.
"Hello and welcome.....My name is Finch - it’s actually my surname, but I’m the last one in my family, so everyone calls me it and I like it.
I live in Leeds in Yorkshire, not too far from the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, with 3 crazy cats and my beautiful wife.
I actually have no formal training in anything I make and a part from a short art course I did many years ago ive learnt all I know myself.
Ive tried many areas creatively over the years and now i find myself sewing which I adore.
When Im not making things which isnt that often I love to read and watch old movies. I collect fairytale books,minature metal chairs and love to hoard things in glass jars.
Ive called my buisness Mister Finch so its clear from the start that I'm a man and one that sews. We are a bit thin on the ground but we are out there!
My main inspirations come from nature and often I return to certain ideas again and again.
Flowers,insects and birds really facinate me and their amazing lifecycles.
Making things has always been incredibley important to me and is often an amazing release to get it out of my system.
I love to hunt for things for my work...the lost, found and forgotten all have places in what I make.A lot my pieces use recycled materials, not so much as an ethical statement, but because they add more authenticity and charm.Velvet curtains from an old hotel, a threadbare wedding dress and a vintage apron become dolls and beasts, looking for new owners and adventures to have. Storytelling creatures for people who are also a little lost, found and forgotten..."
bio written by Funch via his etsy profile
WEBSITE * BLOG * ETSY

Swallow soft sculpture made from vintage teatowel

No comments: