Wednesday, November 17, 2010

sumiko


Wheel Thrown, Hand Carved Candle Holder, Vinca
"My name is Sumiko Braithwaite. I have had a love affair with all art forms since I was a teenager. I was born in Kumamoto, Japan, amd began studying fine arts while still in High School.
I traveled to Italy in 1958 and studied under local artists there. I was married while in Naples and put my artistic endeavors on hold while I raised my family.
Besides my four years in Italy, I lived in Washington, D.C., Honolulu, HI and finally settled in San Diego, CA.
I became serious with art as a student at Miramar College where I received an AA degree in Fine Art. I attended a class in clay at Mesa College and found my calling. At Mesa I studied ceramics, sculpting and glaze technology under Dr. John Conrad. Dr. Conrad is a world famous author and a Master Potter.
I create unique "Double Wall" pottery in a style that is definitely all my own. You can see examples at www.ceramicsbysumiko.com and www.doublewallpottery.com
Examples of my work can be found in many private collections worldwide."
bio written by Sumiko via the etsy profile

1 comment:

Katie Grider said...

I just LOVE Sumiko. I recently bought this from her, and it's possibly my favorite Etsy purchase to date:

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/37644645

So organic and gorgeous. The colors are fabulous. Great to see she's getting some attention!!