Monday, August 16, 2010

joanna thomas


"I have always loved beautiful things. When I look at a art doll I want it to evoke what I love, and that is all things that are good and beautiful.
I began making art dolls from Polymer in 1997. I made dollhouse size art dolls and sold most of them to the members in the local doll club I was in at that time. With life changes I had to give up my sculpting. I soon found my art moving in other directions where for many years I enjoyed painting portraits in oil. I had painted since I was a very young girl.
I picked up the Polymer clay again several years ago, I knew when I handled that clay that it was what I wanted to do and where my heart was.
When I create an art doll I have to love it, they have to ‘speak’ to me. Finding the ending is very difficult. It usually carries on into the next. I never work on more than one at a time as I want my full attention on that one figure until I am ready to let it go.
All of my art dolls are handsculpted from a special blend of polymer and all are one of a kind. I only use the finest fabrics, trims and laces and much of the fabric I hand dye myself. Many hours go into creating a figure from sculpting the figure to hand sewing much of the costumes. I hope you enjoy my art doll figures as much as I enjoy making them.
I want my work to evoke when all things within us, were good…. jt"
bio written by Joanna Thomas via her etsy profile
BLOG * ETSY * DEVIANTART

1 comment:

Jdee said...

Thank you for the feature! I really appreciate it!
xoxo